< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Monday, June 27, 2005

Reader Question: French Women Don't Get Fat

Recently, I was asked:
By the way, did you like her yogurt recipe? Did you use a yogurt maker? How did it compare to commercial yogurts?
I didn't use a yogurt maker. I'm not sure I could justify the expense and have no space for any more appliances. I figured women have been making yogurt for hundreds (or is it thousands?) of years without yogurt makers so I gave it a try. I like her recipe; it's easy but the result is way too liquidy. I found a similar recipe online that included a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin in the milk before heating it and I will try that with my next batch. I'll post an update of how that works out.

5 Comments:

Blogger CallaLilly said...

I read somewhere that the yogurt needs to be strained through cheese cloth to get that European creaminess. I'll have to get one.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Spunky said...

I used to make yogurt all the time in college. It was great. But I think I overdosed because I haven't done it since. And now my kids eat way too much for me to keep up with it.

Spunky

8:56 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Calla Lilly,

I once had a traumatic cheese cloth experience - back in the days when I couldn't boil water. Do they have a word for cheese cloth phobia? :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I bought a quart yogurt maker and I use whole milk. The yogurt maker was less than $20.00. So far all my yogurt has been thick.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Please tell me where you bought this and which kind it is. This is in my price range and we sure do eat a lot of yogurt here.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home