< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Friday, August 19, 2005

Purses With Panache



I love interesting and unusual purses. Sure, I have a lot that are plain and common but I always get a little giddy when I spy a purse with personality. In the first pic you can see my growing collection of special handbags. Starting with the white one and going clockwise, I'll give a little info on each.

The White Wicker Purse - It's not wicker but plastic coated wire. I never have to worry about it breaking. I did have to straighten it out a bit after D sat on it as a toddler. Bought it on clearance at Dillard's about 9 years ago.

The Import - This wooden purse opens completely like a clam. Small with leather straps. Cute and has a cool closer. H bought it recently on clearance at a mall import store.

The Baby Purse - I have always had this purse. I carried it around everywhere when I was 4. It's so 70's. Rope macrame with wooden beads and wooden hoop handles.

The Flashy Triplets - These three bags I got from my MIL recently. Very '80's. I love their circa-Dynasty flash. I'm thinking of wearing them with casual clothes to offset their age.

The Wooden Bucket, AKA Nana's Purse - This was my Nana's. My mom gave it to her in '79, I believe. I love it very much. I would enter a burning house for it. It has local attractions painted around it. My mom gave it to me several years ago.

The Sybil - The purse in the center came recently from my MIL. It has multiple personalities, hence the name Sybil. (See pics 2 & 3) It's an ivory beaded purse which come with an attachable cover. The cover is reversible: one side is black and the other ivory with pink flowers. I really love this purse. It's adorable and so very "Mrs. Happy Housewife."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember a purse in the 80's that was a set of wooden handles with a fabric liner attached and then you could change out the covers?
I would love to find one on e-bay. That was the rage in middle school circa 1982.

We also had belts that had the buckles that were animals like alligators and pigs in gold and then the actual belt could be any color strap.

Or those necklaces that consisted of strands of beads that were twisted together and hooked with a gold clasp on each end.

Were these regional fads or were they nationwide?

Oh how I miss the "preppy" style.
I am so sick of girls either looking like grungy misfits or strippers.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Black said...

Oh, I love fun purses, too! You have style. A couple of those look just like ones that I have.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home