< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Friday, September 16, 2005

SHF #12: Cooking Up Custard

I have no love for custard. I find it unappealing. In fact, the only Custard I've ever liked was a dragon. So, what's a girl to do? Whip up a custard for her family to enjoy. In honor of our recent adventures in Puerto Rico, I decided a guava flan was in order. The family loves guava. Alas, I do not. And I've never made flan before, either. Making a dessert for the first time when you can't even taste it to properly judge it is an interesting experience. Fortunately, I can always depend on H's tastebuds.

Links on Flan:
Gourmet Sleuth
The Wacky World of Flan
El Boricua

For the recipe, I consulted a cookbook my MIL gave me a few years ago, Puerto Rican Dishes. It didn't have a recipe for Guava Flan so I had to put my own recipe together.

Flan de Guayaba

Caramel Sauce:
Heat 1 C. sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. When sugar has completely melted, stir in 1/3 cup of boiling water.

Flan:
8 eggs
14 oz. Sweetened, condensed milk
12 oz. Evaporated milk
12 oz. can guava nectar
  1. Prepare caramel sauce. Allow to cool slightly and then pour into flan pan.
  2. Beat eggs in large bowl.
  3. Add condensed milk, evaporated milk, and guava nectar to eggs.
  4. Pour mixture into carameled pan.
  5. Place in a roasting pan of hot water in 350 degree oven.
  6. Bake for 1 hour.
In my world, flan is baked in cute, little white dishes but H swore to me that his mom only made her flan in a fluted tube pan. I did not call MIL to confirm she makes her flan in what appears to be a bundt cake pan. Since I couldn't readily find afore-mentioned cute, little white dishes, it was easier to just go along with the "bundt cake in a flan's body" scenario. Or is it a "flan in a bundt cake's body" scenario? Regardless, my greatest worry was: would the flan pop out of the pan or pull a Punxsutawney Phil and hide from its shadow.

Thankfully, the flan popped out of the pan. H loved it but said it only had a hint of guava flavor. I was disappointed in the flan's appearance, which seemed a bit sickly to me. But what do I know; I don't even like flan.



For more Sugar High Friday sweetness, visit this month's host, Simply Recipes.

3 Comments:

Blogger CallaLilly said...

Oh, I adore custards! I do hope my system adjusts so that I can have it again. :) It is so nice of you to make things for your family that you do not like. That's how things should be. :)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I think that it looks very fun as a bundt-flan and that I would have liked the hint of guava. Great entry!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Mika said...

Flan with a guava twist- I love it!!!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home