< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Alert the Fashion Police


When I was young, my mother gave me a Rose is Rose comic strip she had cut from the newspaper. The little boy in it wished to wear summer clothes during the winter. When his mother denied his request, he complained, "But it matches." My mother was attempting to teach me that there was a time and a place for different kinds of clothing. I (eventually) learned the lesson but it seems many people today need some Rose is Rose advice. Whether it's pajamas at school or flip flops in the White House, it just appears as though society at large is confused as to what to wear and when.

If you look closely at the photo, you can see many lovely ladies in pretty skirts and dresses. The young ladies of Northwestern University's national championship women's lacrosse team weren't trying to be disrespectful:


The players have defended their attire, arguing they wore a dressier version of the casual sandal. "Nobody was wearing old beach flip-flops," said Josephs, who wore a $16 brown pair with rhinestones. Darmody, 22, added: "I tried to think of something that would go well with my outfit and at the same time not be that uncomfortable. But at the same time not disrespect the White House."

Yet, somehow they reached adulthood without learning that just because it matches doesn't mean you should wear it.

Last Sunday, our family went to brunch at Denny's and I almost got whiplash from the double-take I made when we passed a group of women my own age, each wearing flannel pajamas and flip-flops. I have never wanted to be a member of the fashion police more than at that moment. I would have written them a ticket:

Dear Miss,

Please bother to wear proper attire. It would really mean a lot to those of us who are forced to see you. Also, you will be treated nicer and will feel better about yourself. Comfort doesn't mean sacrificing your self-respect.

Thanks,
Fashion Police

5 Comments:

Blogger CallaLilly said...

I've always wanted to print little cards saying thank you to women who dress nicely. Giving someone a card for not dressing nicely would take up too much of my time! :)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

There are cards here:
LAF cards

3:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

This one is nice: UFL Card

3:14 PM  
Blogger CallaLilly said...

Thanks. I knew they had UFO cards, but I like the UFL ones much better.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Melodee said...

I blogged about slippers and pajama pants in public a while back. It's puzzling to me. I didn't get the memo about what is now appropriate to wear in public, I guess.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home