< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Friday, August 12, 2005

Sugar High Friday #11 - Coffee


Had I not visited Lovescool this morning, I would have completely missed this month's Sugar High Friday. The theme for August is coffee. The instant I found that out, I knew exactly what I would enter: Espresso Biscuits a la Martha.

I first saw the recipe about 7 or 8 years ago when I had a subscription to Martha Stewart Living. These were the first cookies I baked from scratch. Last Christmas I included them in my cookie sampler tins which I gifted to select friends and family. Everyone was delighted. An Espresso Biscuit is a coffee-lover's dream. It appears to be crispy but this cookie melts in your mouth and delights your tastebuds with its glorious combination of espresso, chocolate, and confectioner's sugar.

Espresso Biscuits

Makes 16

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon finely ground espresso beans (I use Pilon brand espresso.)
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350° with two racks spaced evenly apart. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift together flour, cocoa, and espresso beans; set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, scraping down sides of bowl twice.

3. Roll 2 1/2 tablespoons of dough between the palms of your hand to form a ball. Place on prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining batter, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. Using a dinner fork, press tines into dough, and gently press into biscuit shape. Bake biscuits just until firm to the touch, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

While I eat these delicious cookies, I shall listen to Bach's Coffee Cantata. (You can get a free subscription to download it from Classical Music Archives here.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess who'll be doing some baking!

I love how your blog is full of good links and stuff -it's always a little like Christmas coming to visit you and get goodies :o)

Love, Lucy x

4:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are causing me to stumble :)

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an evil recipe to post!! And now I have to go find my coffee cantata cd. I've been wanting to learn one of the arias from that! :-)

5:57 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Martha has some great ideas and these cookies look delicious.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home