< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Quince



Previously, I've told of our family habit of trying new produce. This week's test subject was Pineapple Quince.

You can learn about Quince from:

After reading about Quinces at those links, I decided to bake a breakfast bread with my Pineapple Quince. I was looking for a low calorie, non-dessert recipe for Quince but found none to my liking so here is my own recipe:

Banana and Pineapple Quince Bread

Ingredients:

  • 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/3 Cup Oats
  • 1/2 Cup Splenda®
  • 1 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1 pinch Salt
  • 1 1/2 Mashed Bananas
  • 1 Pineapple Quince, peeled and cored and sliced in thin wedges
  • 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
  • 1/3 Cup Buttermilk or Milk with 1 tsp. of Vinegar added
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9X5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. (I used butter-flavored.) Set aside.
  2. Blend dry ingredients in large bowl. Set aside.
  3. Mash bananas. Add Pineapple Quince, oil, buttermilk or milk and vinegar substitute, and vanilla. Mix well.
  4. Pour banana mixture into dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 min. or until top is brown and center is set.

Makes: 1 loaf of 8 slices

Calories per slice:115


And here is the finished product (click to see full size):

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I finally peeked at your site...I'm commenting on this one because I see you have a link to Tony Tantillo! I went to Church with him in CA...he's a nice guy...I remember sitting behind him & he'd sit & play with his children during Mass! :) Ah well...it was still sweet...I didn't know he had a site...

God bless!
lottie

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home