< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Malt-O-Meal



Usually my family experiments with produce but this weekend, as we were getting oatmeal and cream of wheat on the cereal aisle, my husband spotted Malt-O-Meal. I had never had it and neither had he so we grabbed a box. This morning I fixed a pot for breakfast. I'm used to cream of wheat (always a favorite in my house growing up) so Malt-O-Meal didn't seem so strange...until I poured it. There were little brown and black flakes in what appeared to be normal cream of wheat. On the Malt-O-Meal website, I found out that the flakes are malted barley. After cooking the Malt-O-Meal, I poured it into our bowls and added a pat of butter and a tablespoon of sugar to each as I do to cream of wheat. The Malt-O-Meal had a nutty flavor, due to the malted barley, and was quite good. I'm happy to say our Malt-O-Meal experiment ended well; everyone enjoyed it and we'll be eating more again soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Paine said...

That's one of my husband's favorite cereals! He especially loves the brown sugar flavor with butter, milk, and brown sugar.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Samara said...

I will have to try this; my brother and I have recently come to the end of an economy-sized box of oatmeal and are a little tired of it :) - but we do love hot cereal! Does Malt-o-Meal double as a grain ingredient in recipes? My grandma used to make "farina cake" using cream of wheat, & it was delicious.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

It looks like it does double as a grain ingredient; there are some recipes at the Malt-O-Meal website (http://www.malt-o-meal.com/pages/recipes_desserts.html) which you might be interested in.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home