< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.mrshappyhousewife.com/serendipity/" >

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Q & A: How old is Mrs. Happy Housewife?

Q. Crystal said...
I'm enjoying your pictures! My husband clicked on your link and asked me last night who took the pictures. I told him your daughter and he gave me this funny look. When I asked him why, he said he didn't think you looked old enough to have a daughter who could take pictures!! :)
A. I know Crystal didn't really ask my age but I am 29 and will be 30 next January. My daughter will be 10 next month. You can do the math. Does that make me a child bride? When I was a young wife and mother, I was often mistaken for being somewhere between 12 and 15. You can't imagine the dirty looks I would get strolling through the mall with my baby daughter. I'd love to know just how old Crystal's husband thinks I look. I have plenty of white hairs (thankfully well hidden in my thick hair) and I found my first wrinkle this week. It's a crease above my right eye caused by raising my eyebrows too much.

When I was 22, the apartment above ours burned and the smoke and water damaged most of our belongings. We had renter's insurance and called our agent to come out. She had never met me in person. When I went outside to meet her she asked if my mom was home. I said I was the mom. This has happened a million times with door-to-door salesmen. It hasn't happened in a while so I appreciate anyone thinking I look too young to have a child who can use a camera.

7 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I can relate to this! I'm twenty-three, and without fail: whenever I meet someone new, they assume I'm seventeen or eighteen. They're always shocked to find out I'm married!

I'm told I'll appreciate it when I'm older:op

6:38 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I think you look young too - I was surprised when I saw your first picture this week!

I had my first baby at 23, and about 2 weeks later, a boy knocked on our door selling something. He asked to speak to my mom, and I said, "I AM the mom!"

I turned 40 in April, and with our being newcomers in the area, many of our new friends don't know our ages. When I told one man my age, as we were all talking one evening, he was momentarily speechless! It was fun! I don't look as young as I did at 23, but most people say I don't look 40. What does 40 look like, anyway? LOL

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

40 is looking younger and younger! :)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I get told I look young, too--it happened even more when I was first married. The funniest thing I had happen was when I was about 24, I was at a Pizza Hut for lunch with my mom, and a friend and her daughter. The waitress asked if I would be getting the kids' price on the buffet (for 12 and under)! :D LOL . . . I think that's the only time I've ever had someone think I was HALF my age . . . :)

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have really been enjoying your feminine dresses through the week posts. I also thought my word she must have a talented toddler! ;o) I used to get those comments too until I went gray. ;o)I was a child bride and I had our oldest who is almost 17.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Crystal Paine said...

I think he thought you were my age. :)

You know, the more I read your blog, the more I've been wishing that we could get together sometime. I think we would hit it off really well. We should have a big blogfest with you, Candy, and all the other wonderful blogger ladies here!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

"You know, the more I read your blog, the more I've been wishing that we could get together sometime. I think we would hit it off really well. We should have a big blogfest with you, Candy, and all the other wonderful blogger ladies here!"

Oh, Crystal, I wish we could get together. Wouldn't it be jolly fun?!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home